The Village of Willowbrook was incorporated in 1959, when a homeowner’s group, the Ridgemoor Homeowners Association, which consisted of 167 people, decided to organize the hamlet in order to be able to guide the development of farmland which surrounded their homes. The name of the village was coined by Anton Borse, the association president, when he noticed from his window the willow trees running along the creek in his backyard.
The village has rapidly grown over the ensuing years. At present the population is over 8,700. Students attend elementary schools in either District 60 in Clarendon Hills, District 62 in Burr Ridge, or District 181 in Hinsdale. High School students attend Hinsdale Central or Hinsdale South.
It is 20 miles west of the Loop. The Tri-State Tollway (1- 294) and the Stevenson Expressway (1-55) allow a 40 minute drive to the Loop. O’Hare and Midway airports are 30 and 20 minutes away respectively. The Burlington Northern commuter trains stop in Hinsdale and Clarendon Hills. The express takes 28 minutes to the Loop, while the local takes 45 minutes.